MOLINE, Ill. — The Moline Fire Department responded to a house fire in a neighborhood near First Evangelical Church late Tuesday night.
Multiple Moline firefighters were on scene at about 10:15 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 23 at a home near the intersection of Velie Drive and Wilderness Court.
Crew members put out the fire upon News 8's arrival and said everyone was evacuated safely.
One of the homeowners who spoke with News 8 and said she and her husband were the only ones in the house, and Moline firefighters escorted them both out safely.
The homeowner said they were using their fireplace previously that night and put out the fire before bed. She said after she noticed crackling noises and smelled smoke, she called 911.
The fire is estimated to have caused about $35,000 worth of damage.