MOLINE, Ill. — A house in Moline was heavily damaged and a family pet was killed after a fire on Thursday.
The Moline Fire Department arrived at the 1100 block of 4th Street at about 4 p.m. At first the house did not appear to be on fire, according to the department.
Firefighters later discovered that windows were layered with soot on the inside and thick, black smoke poured out of doors that were forced open.
Crews discovered that the fire had died down on its own. Smoke and heat were the major cause of damage.
Residents of the home were not there at the time of the fire. A family pet inside the house and was found dead.
The incident was brought under control quickly, according to the Moline Fire Department. The fire was started by a window-mounted air conditioning unit, according to investigators.
There were no injuries.
The house was smoke-damaged, residents could not move back in the same day.