URBANA, Illinois — The University of Illinois Director of Athletics Josh Whitman announced Saturday, March 5, that head football coach Bill Cubit has been dismissed.
The announcement was made on Whitman’s first official day as the university’s athletic director. Whitman said the Fighting Illini football program needs a long-term coach.
Cubit had been named interim head coach in August 2015 when former athletics director Mike Thomas fired Tim Beckman during an investigation relating to student-athlete medical treatment and failing to properly report injuries. Cubit led Illinois to a 5-7 record in 2015.
On Nov. 29, Cubit signed a two-year contract as head coach.
Offensive coordinator Ryan Cubit has also been removed, effective immediately.
Because of the timing, Whitman said spring football practice scheduled to start March 11 will be delayed until a new coach is hired.
Cubit will receive a last payment for the upcoming season, an approximate $985,000. Ryan Cubit will also be paid a remainder of his contract, approximately $361,000.
“All of us in the Illini Nation owe him a debt of gratitude for his work leading our team these last months. At this juncture, however, I think it is most important that we position our program for long-term success by creating a more stable environment for the coaches, players and prospective student-athletes,” said Whitman in his release.