x
Breaking News
More () »

Bellevue garage fire likely started by vehicle parked inside, fire officials say

A fire that destroyed a garage is believed to have been caused by the vehicle parked inside it. The fire erupted at a garage and work shop on 362nd Avenue in Be...
Fire image

A fire that destroyed a garage is believed to have been caused by the vehicle parked inside it.

The fire erupted at a garage and work shop on 362nd Avenue in Bellevue, Iowa just before 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, October 13, 2015, according to Fire Chief Kent Clasen.  A total of 22 firefighters responded to the call, and were able to quickly put out the fire.

“The cause of the fire is most likely from a vehicle that was parked in the garage moments before the fire was reported,” said Clasen.

Clasen said the 24-foot x 36-foot garage became fully engulfed in flames, but the fire did not spread.  The structure, vehicle, and all of its contents were a total loss.

Damage was estimated to be somewhere between $80,000 and $100,000, according to Clasen.

Firefighters were on scene for about two hours.

 

Download the free News 8 App — for iOS, click here and for Android, click here

Sign up for breaking news and weather alerts – click here.