COLUMBUS, Ohio — After a rare off day on Sunday, Governor Mike DeWine, Lt. Gov. Jon Husted, and Dr. Amy Acton held a briefing on Monday with the latest on the state's battle with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ohio Department of Health reports that there are now 4,450 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the state. 142 people have died and another 1,214 have been hospitalized.
On Monday, Gov. DeWine announced that he will call out members of the Ohio National Guard to assist in helping stop the spread of COVID-19 at the federal prison in Elkton. Three inmates died last week.
Monday marks the day that the state's extended stay-at-home policy is due to take effect until May 1. The new provisions include the following:
- Any person entering Ohio from out of state is asked to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- A restriction on the number of people allowed at essential establishments that remain open.
- A board to evaluate and render guidance in situations where two local health departments have come to a different conclusion on what is or is not an essential business.
- Weddings are permitted, although any receptions are required to follow social distancing guidelines.
- Campgrounds closed with the exception of situations where a camper or recreational vehicle in a campground serves as somebody’s permanent residence and they are unable to secure safe alternative housing.
- Ohio State Parks remain open, but the director can take action to enforce the orders that have been issued.
Ohio’s stay-at-home order still allows for essential businesses, such as grocery stores and pharmacies, to remain open. Citizens are permitted to leave their residencies for the following reasons:
- health and safety
- necessary supplies
- outdoor activity
DeWine also announced that six facilities in Ohio will be used as off-site medical facilities to help deal with the anticipated surge of coronavirus cases.
- Seagate Convention Center, Lucas Co
- Case Western University’s Health Education Campus, Cuyahoga Co
- Dayton Convention Center, Montgomery Co
- Covelli Convention Ctr, Mahoning Co
- Duke Energy Convention Ctr, Hamilton Co
- Greater Columbus Convention Ctr, Franklin Co
Click here for more of our coronavirus coverage.