Breaking News
More () »

Moline man faces first-degree murder charge following deadly shooting near Hamilton Elementary

Police are investigating a fatal shooting of 35-year-old Robert Rhone that occurred Friday across the street from Hamilton Elementary School in Moline.

MOLINE, Ill. — UPDATE (3 p.m. March 4): The Moline Police Department arrested 28-year-old Antwon M. Hayes of Moline hours after he allegedly shot and killed a man after an argument. 

The Rock Island County State's Attorney filed a first-degree murder charge against Hayes as well, alleging that he "knowingly and without legal justification personally discharged a firearm, causing the death of a single adult male victim."

A press release with the latest update from police says Hayes is being held in the Rock Island County Jail on a $2 million bond. The investigation is still ongoing, and there will be no more updates on Friday. 

Those with any information about the incident are encouraged to contact the Moline Police Department at 309-797-0401 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 309-764-9500. 

Credit: Rock Island County Jail
Antwon M. Hayes is charged with first-degree murder after an argument between him and Robert E. Rhone resulted in the shooting death of Rhone, according to authorities.

UPDATE (2 p.m. March 4): Rock Island County Coroner Brian Gustafson identified the victim of the Friday morning shooting as 35-year-old Robert Rhone of Moline.

An autopsy was scheduled for Monday, March 7, Gustafson said. The investigation into the shooting by the Moline Police Department and the Rock Island County Coroner's Office was ongoing as of Friday afternoon.

UPDATE (12 p.m. March 4): A 35-year-old man died Friday, March 4 after being shot outside of Hamilton Elementary School in Moline, according to a release from the Moline Police Department.

A 911 call reported gunshots at about 8 a.m. in the area of the school. Police said the investigation into the shooting revealed it occurred following an argument between the victim and a 28-year-old on the west side of 7th Street, near 32nd Avenue. The victim suffered life-threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital, where he later died.

After fleeing the scene, a suspect was taken into custody near 4th Street and 32nd Avenue. Police said the two men had known each other, and the shooting was not a random incident.

The identity of the victim and suspect were being withheld pending investigation and notification of the victim's family, police said.

Two school resource officers from other schools responded within minutes of a call for increased security from Hamilton Elementary. Officers remained in the school during the incident to help enact safety protocols that did not disrupt the learning of students. The school remained under a soft lockdown as of noon Friday, according to the police department.

If you have any information regarding the incident, contact the Moline police at 309-797-0401 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 309-762-9500.

ORIGINAL (10 a.m. March 4): Police are investigating a shooting that occurred Friday morning across the street from Hamilton Elementary School and sent the school into lockdown, according to the Moline Police Department.

Officers arrived at about 8 a.m. near 7th Street and 32nd Avenue in Moline, right when school was starting for the day. According to police, an argument between two men resulted in one person being shot with life-threatening injuries. The suspect had fled the scene, but police were able to take him into custody. 

Out of precaution, Moline police directed the elementary school to go into a soft lockdown, which meant students were free to move around in the building but no one could enter or exit the building, said Candace Sountris, director for public relations and communications with the Moline-Coal Valley School District.

7th Street was momentarily closed as police worked to gather evidence at the scene of the incident.

According to police, all children and staff at the school were safe, the school was operating as normal and there was no longer any danger to the public, school or residents in the area as of 9:15 a.m. Monday.

WQAD News 8 will update this breaking news story as more information is made available. Download our app and subscribe to our YouTube channel for updates.

Before You Leave, Check This Out