UPDATE: According to a spokesperson from the Johnson County Medical Examiner's Office, nine-year-old Matthew Auderer died at the hospital after this fire.
EAST MOLINE, Illinois -- Two juveniles woke up to a blanket on fire while sleeping in the basement of a burning home on 7 1/2 Street.
The fire was reported shortly after 7:30 a.m. on Monday, December 16, according to a statement from the East Moline's Fire Chief Robert DeFrance. After the two juveniles were woken up by the heat from a burning blanket, they attempted to escape.
Chief DeFrance said the older juvenile tried to get the younger one out but could only get as far as the main floor before being forced to escape through a bedroom window to get help.
When crews arrived the fire was burning in the basement, leaving smoke and heat wafting throughout the rest of the house, said Chief DeFrance. The fire eventually spread into bedrooms on the main floor.
Firefighters rescued the other juvenile who was still in the home. Both were taken to a nearby hospital.
There has been no official cause determined for the fire, but Chief DeFrance said they suspect a space heater started the blaze.