MOLINE, Ill. — Friday, April 22 is Earth Day. The holiday is a day of environmental awareness and action.
Organizations and businesses across the U.S. will honor the occasion by hosting environmental events and participating in activism in ways they know best.
We're keeping track of Earth Day events, activities and deals you can take part in and around the Quad Cities.
Don't see an event on the list? Let us know by sending us a message on Facebook or through our Contact Us page, and we'll add it to the list.
How YOU can practice greener living all year round
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests taking these three small actions to help make a big impact:
1. Recycle responsibly — Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
We've all heard about the three R's, and doing simple things like recycling can help you, your community and the environment by saving money, energy and natural resources, according to the EPA.
Click/tap here for some tips from the EPA on how you can include the three R's in your day-to-day life.
2. Pick greener products
The EPA has a full guide to help consumers make not only greener choices but money-saving choices while shopping for cleaning products. Businesses can also take advantage of the EPA's guide as well.
3. Use green transportation
The EPA says what and how you drive has a big impact on the environment and your wallet. The same goes for what kind of fuel you're using. Learn more about green vehicles here.
Learn more about Earth Day's history on News 8's YouTube channel
Earth Day Extravanganza Volunteer Day - Davenport Parks and Recreation:
- Join Davenport Parks and Recreation at the Fejervary Learning Center to take part in guided spring cleanup around the center.
- Activities include raking, weeding, clearing branches and sticks and beautification of the parking space.
- Volunteers get a tour of the center, refreshments, and a thank-you gift
- From noon to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 23.
- The blood center has been planting a tree for every donor who redeems a voucher, lasting from March 21 to May 15.
- All presenting donors are given a voucher for a gift card, and the National Forest Foundation Plants a tree on their behalf.
- During Earth Week 2022, ImpactLife revealed that they are on track to plant over 10,000 trees and counting.
- To schedule an appointment for donation, please call 800-747-5401, schedule online at www.bloodcenter.org or via the ImpactLife mobile app.
Earth Day Crafternoon - Rock Island Public Library:
- Participants of any age can take part to try out and work with recycled crafts.
- From 4-6 p.m. Wednesday, April 20 in the Downtown Library's Children's Story Area and Southwest Library's Community Room.
Riverdale Trees for Kids plating - Riverdale Heights Elementary School:
- Riverdale Heights Elementary School students will be planting trees at the building and at City Hall following grants from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and Mid-American Energy.
- Ceremonial groundbreaking, speech from Mayor Heddlesten, and school tree planting 8:45 a.m. Friday, April 22 at Riverdale Heights Elementary School.
- Followed by additional planting at City Hall at 1:30 p.m., in which the public is invited to participate.
- Youth art show consisting entirely of recycled goods, arts, and crafts
- Also features a recycling drive and healthy treats
- From 1-3 p.m. Sunday, April 23 at Longview Park.
Earth Day Fest - St. Ambrose University:
- On-site waste sort, educational activities, sustainability pledges, and eco-friendly good sale
- Rogalski Center patio, St. Ambrose University from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, April 22.
- Hosted by the student-led Greenlife Club and the university's Sustainability Committee.
- Cleaning the south side of Galesburg, followed by a celebratory cookout
- Begins Saturday, April 23 at 9 a.m. at United Way of Knox County
- The free, family-friendly event will give the community the opportunity to learn what the Quad Cities area is doing to invest in the planet.
- From 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at 421 West River Drive in Davenport.