AUSTIN, Texas — Although Austin and Travis County leaders announced Friday that they were canceling the 2020 South by Southwest (SXSW) festival due to growing coronavirus concerns, event organizers are already working to reschedule.
According to a statement released by SXSW, the organization is looking at options to reschedule the event, and perhaps provide some sort of online "virtual" experience.
Here is the statement:
"The City of Austin has cancelled the March dates for SXSW and SXSW EDU. SXSW will faithfully follow the City’s directions.
We are devastated to share this news with you. “The show must go on” is in our DNA, and this is the first time in 34 years that the March event will not take place. We are now working through the ramifications of this unprecedented situation.
As recently as Wednesday, Austin Public Health stated that 'there’s no evidence that closing SXSW or any other gatherings will make the community safer.' However, this situation evolved rapidly, and we honor and respect the City of Austin’s decision. We are committed to do our part to help protect our staff, attendees, and fellow Austinites.
We are exploring options to reschedule the event and are working to provide a virtual SXSW online experience as soon as possible for 2020 participants, starting with SXSW EDU. For our registrants, clients, and participants we will be in touch as soon as possible and will publish an FAQ.
We understand the gravity of the situation for all the creatives who utilize SXSW to accelerate their careers; for the global businesses; and for Austin and the hundreds of small businesses – venues, theatres, vendors, production companies, service industry staff, and other partners that rely so heavily on the increased business that SXSW attracts.
We will continue to work hard to bring you the unique events you love. Though it’s true that our March 2020 event will no longer take place in the way that we intended, we continue to strive toward our purpose – helping creative people achieve their goals."
KVUE is a media sponsor of SXSW 2020.
- Ozzy Osbourne will not attend SXSW due to coronavirus concerns
- LIST: SXSW 2020 events and people that appear to have canceled
- Virus expert says public panic over coronavirus 'a little out of proportion'
- Austin, other Texas cities can now test for coronavirus, Gov. Abbott says
- No cases of coronavirus confirmed in Travis County as Austin cancels SXSW
- List: Companies pulling out of SXSW 2020 amid coronavirus concerns
- SXSW's 'Supernatural' panel appears to be canceled
- 'No evidence closing SXSW is going to make the community safer;' Austin health official says risk to public still low
- SXSW reps say enrollment is on par with previous years, despite coronavirus concerns